Monday, June 20, 2005

There's a hurricane coming...

(Note: I originally meant to publish this May 27th, and forget why I saved it as a draft...anyway, as the deadline is approaching it is getting more interesting)


....but I'm betting it will miss us.

A judge has ordered the government to release the rest of the Abu Garhib photos. I don't think it will stick. These are photos that the Democrats, in an election year, agreed to cover up. I don't know what atrocities they contain, but I'm betting they're worse than the ones we've seen. I read somewhere about a video in which a male detainee was raped by a female guard. Until that video comes out 99% of the world- scratch that- 99% of the US and most of the world won't believe it.

But we believe what we see. The dozen photos have gotten more people tried and convicted than dozens of dead bodies. Those bodies are a guarantee we've done worse: it was just done without cameras.

Here's the bigger issue: what if these new photos show more than just the Lyndie England crowd? What if there were 20 people or 25? An officer? We've had these photos for years...if that is what is in them...the entire world would have physical evidence that not only were abuses widespread, but our prosecution was a sham. I don't believe these were the actions of 7 rogue enlisted personnel, but I don't pretend to know for certain. My beliefs rely on clearly fallable deduction (presence of dogs, relatively light sentencing, etc) from an uninformed perspective, thousands of miles away. I can say it looks bad, but I have no proof. In a very real sense I don't want any proof.

The US can't handle the shock of those photos being released. That's why the Democrats didn't use them. That's why they (somehow) will never be released.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home