Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Quickie: Abortion Rights

This is a very intersting story from Florida. A 13 yr-old in foster care has become pregnant and doesn't want the baby. However, the State, as her legal guardian is trying to prevent her abortion (curiously, a right even parents aren't entitled to). Here's the story.

Even better is this excerpt from Bitch, PhD relating the conversation between the girl and the judge.

L.G.: Why can't I make my own decision?

Judge Alvarez: I don't know.

L.G.: You don't know? Aren't you the judge?


There's more, and I didn't do the story justice, but this is just a quickie...ff to follow up.



PS: for those of you with a feminist bend, I do reccomend Bitch Phd. She seems a kind of an abrasive, unapologetic, kick-ass-and-take-names type. Her byline is : "Least likely to passify social conservatives." (which I like). And in general I like her posts. I can't support the sum total of her political views, nor her generic views of men, nor her most notable accomplishments...
Administrative experience includes work organizing graduate students that led to a successful unionization effort (completed by others);


(Unionization of graduate students is an issue near and dear to my heart and very much not in agreement with Dr. Bitch. If I were blogging 2 years ago half the blog would be devoted to the issue.)

...but her posts are itelligent, educational, entertaining, and worth reading whether I agree or not. That is, in my opinion, the highest praise one blogger can give another: "I disagree with you, but you are still worth reading". Bitch away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home