Sunday, April 24, 2005

Condoleeza Rice

Here's a question for you. Why do so many bloggers feel comfortable referring to Dr. Rice as Condi? Yes, it's a catchy nickname, (and Condoleeza is hard to pronounce) but is there more to it than that? Is there some sexist/racist thing behind it? Of course Hillary is Hillary, but there is some ambiguoty in 'Clinton'. Who else warrants such comfortable first name usage? It's not just a matter of specificity, if I say Alberto you know who I mean (or possibly you're confused, but certainly not thinking of the wrong Alberto), and there is no other Rice with substantial import. Do we hear references to Teddy or Tony? I don't get it. There is only 1 prominent Colin, Olypmia, or Clarence, but they are invariably Powell, Snowe, and Thomas.

Whether the nickname is derrogatory or a sign of coordial familiarity, I denounce it. Rice has earned equal treatment with her peers. While she also earned my ire misleading us into a war, I don't know her well enough to refer to her by first name, let alone a nickname.

A good number of papers seem to refer to her as Ms. Rice. Let's not get started on that.


PS: Another example, generally found on conservative sites: Kofi. It's looking more like use of the first name is a deliberate sign of disrespect. I wouldn't rule out racially baised issues either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home