Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The way it should be

There is a tendency to equate anti-war rhetoric with passifist nonsense or generic weakness. Maybe that is justified, and maybe it is not. My main objection to war is that the wrong people get killed. Too many teenagers in the countries we invade, ignorant of and utterly unaccounatble for their leaders policies, get killed by our shrapnel. Too many of our young men and women, less ignorant but equally unaccountable, die to accomplish our political ends. The argument is not that killing is unjust, violates international law, or increases overall terrorist activity (and said arguments can be made). The argument it is wasteful, and that there is a better way.

I'm opening myself to critque here, because what I claim as a better way was attempted, and obviously failed. Nonetheless, this is how it should be done. Call it a hunting party, a posse, a death squad, whater you like: I wish it had succeeded. Furthermore I hope there are other CIA infiltration teams out there with guns and large stacks of cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home