Friday, April 29, 2005

Nobody told me!!

That the president was going to speak yesterday. As a rule I don't watch TV, but I might have made an exception. Apparently the networks were a bit unenthusiastic. Given that the bulk of the message was about a social security plan that is pretty much dead in the water before it is even written, they might question why they should cancel their regularly scheduled programming. Ironic, my TV watching friends were a little discouraged to have missed their regular shows, while I might have actually turned it on had I known. I'm sure there will be tons of analysis on wether it was brilliant or wasteful, with analysis of the analysis, etc...

All I'll say is that if you decide to butt in on people's private time, you'd better have a good reason, 'cause they'd rather be watching their shows (at least those who watch TV regularly). Did the president touch that exceptionally large core of the country who doesn't read, watch news, or follow politics? Or will they see this as an unwarranted cramming down throat of views they may not care about (preempting their regularly scheduled program).

For a minute there I wish I were a liberal journalist, or maybe a writer for the Onion. Editorial headline: President launches pre-emptive war against sweeps week.

By the by. How liberal is the big media showing this? (not very) This is an opposed policy. Was the opposition given time to speak?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home