Saturday, August 05, 2006

Anti-Semitism I

I really didn't understand why neocons were so quick to play the "anti-semitism" race card against various people who have pointed out that the Irsraeli incursion into Lebanon is against US interests. On the other hand it may be anti-Semite racism is more prevalent then I've been led to believe from (and I hate this phrase) "The Ivory Tower" at UPenn. Maybe surrounded by a large Jewish population my local experience is just too mixed to carry the level of bigotry found elsewhere (kind of the way New Yorkers aren't as homophobic as the South). Anyway, I've been very dismissive of the concept that people are opposed to the Irsraeli war out of anti-Semitism.

And then comedy stepped in. Watch this video from Borat/Ali G (link credit: Atrios). Certainly that's not the most liberal or enlightened crowd, but it is scary to see a pack of Americans singing, clapping, and cheering along to "throw the Jew down the well". It's a bizzare sort of comedy: I guess meant to be funny, but really kind of scary if you think about it.

Anyway, now I wonder whether anti-Semitism is more than just a convenient shield, and might actually be a valid issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home