Sunday, February 12, 2006

Back from Vacation


Got a chance to tour some of Colorado this week. It was pretty cool. The highlight was definitely skiing the bowl at Keystone. I've never taken the jump into a steep bowl of powder before. The first 8 feet of vertical plunge was the hardest. Frankly, it didn't go too smoothly, but I hope to someday try it again.

The 2nd coolest thing I saw this week was the Air Force Academy. The campus was very nice, despite winter making it brown and gray. The most beautiful part of campus was the Protestant Chapel. (The website graciously calls it the nondenominational "Cadet Chapel" but I've reffered to the name as posted on signs all over the lobby.) It is a beautiful piece of architecture, and worth the trip.

The AFA visitor center has a lot of really cool information, but possibly the coolest is the part about how the academy strives to build integrity, honor, and character into the curriculum. I wish my undergrad program actively taught those attributes. Imagine if all schools taught honor and integrity as a formal educational goal. (Question: would it be intrinsically counter-productive for anywhere with a business school? ) (Take-home-exercise: compare and contrast the academic obsession with "ethical" behavior vs. the military obsession with "honorable" behavior.) Anyway, I think it a worthy goal.

Also, if you're out there, the AFA is only a few miles from the Foucus-on-Family visitor center. I was hoping to get the inside scoop on SpongeBob's homosexuality, but despite my best efforts I couldn't persuade my hosts to stop there. Sorry, maybe next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home