Sunday, July 24, 2005

Buried secrets: Part One. (apparent resurgence)

Back on June 1, 2005 the courts ordered that the US turn over 1 gross of additional Abu Gharib photos, as well as 4 potentially incediary videos. Including, most likely, the infamous rape video. This is what I had to say at the time.

These are photos that the Democrats, in an election year, agreed to cover up. I don't know what atrocities they contain, but I'm betting they're worse than the ones we've seen.
1 month until the world hates us twice as much as they already do. I'll still be amazed if these photos see the light of day. It will be a bad day, I'll tell you that.

Later, I even went so far as to accuse poor Karl Rove of using incendiary comments to frame the release of the photos. Silly me. I had total egg on my face when that turned out to not be the case. It was not the case because the June 28th deadline came and went without a whisper. Nothing from the news. Nothing on the ACLU website. Nothing. I'll be honest...the lack of news set my conspiracy theory paranoia on overload. I could see a few news organizations being shut-down, but why wasn't there an update on the ACLU webpage? Had they made a deal? What was it that so utterly and completely buried this court order?

Turns out I was way off, and somehow the due date was allowed to slip to July 22. (Thanks for the update news media/ACLU). I wasn't so far off in the end though, because the executive has simply refused the judicial department. There's a New York Times story (that I haven't read), but why not get it straight from the horse's mouth? (ACLU) Regardless, now that NYT has broken the moratorium, there will be oodles of noisy loud bloggers chattering away.

So what is worse? Scenario one: compromise the War on Terror by inspiring legions of new Islamic radicals, and potentially exposing the US government as a pack of dishonest liars for their idiotic cover-up (and scapegoating of a few low-lifes). Welcome to everyone hates America.

Or Scenario Two: allow the exectutive, and in particular the military to withhold evidence from the court and the American people? Welcome to the Police State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home