Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Blogroll addition: A kindred spirit

As has become my custom, I will induct a new blog to the blogroll with a recent excerpt. In this case the blog is Freedom Democrats. And the posting is here. The author is one Logan Ferree and though Congressional hopeful Paul Hackett steals the show in that link, the quotation very well sums up Logan's blog.

Says Hackett:
I'm for limited government, I'm for fiscal responsibility, I'’m for a strong national defense, and I'’m for fair trade. What do these concepts stand for? That means I don't need Washington to tell me how to live my personal life, or how to pray to my God. And I don't need Washington to dictate to my wife the decisions that she makes with her doctor, any more than I need Washington to tell me which guns I can keep in my gun safe.
Hackett is running in an impossibly Republican district of Ohio, but he makes sense and he's fighting hard. I can't think of a better metaphor for Freedom Democrats.

As is also becoming my custom, I'll not let a blog in without a first critique. I'm a little dismayed that Logan moved from http://libertariansforamerica.blogs.com/ to http://www.freedomdemocrats.org/ It now sounds more party-oriented than policy-oriented. To underscore the change, the blog-name has changed as well. Democratic Freedom just became the Freedom Democrats. Same objection. Noted. (Undoubtedly overuled).

And with my most severe criticism a matter of semantics...I am pleased to add Freedom Democrats to the blogroll. This addition is long past due. I gather a lot of people read blogs on the internet and find themselves in echo chambers of like-minded peers...but that hasn't really been my experience. I love reading TPM and Legal Fiction but I just can't buy into what they're selling. Instead I look with hope at the rare right-wing blogs whose authors are capable of indepentent thought. Those are stimulating, but I only rarely agree. Freedom Democrats is different from other blogs in that it is very me. It is the first (and only) blog that I will claim shares my views and outlook on the world. I reccomend very highly.

A toast then...to Libertarians who caucus with Democrats.

5 Comments:

Blogger Logan Ferree said...

Thanks for the kind comments, and also your opinion on the change of name. I'll say that changing the name of the blog and the address were difficult decisions. I hope it the new partisan sounding name doesn't scare you away. I've messed around with the comments a bit and I think I've now allowed it to let people comment without registering. Oh, and once I work out other technical difficulties I'll be adding your blog to the roll.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Lanky_Bastard said...

Thanks for visiting. I hoped the registration requirement was accidental (I had the same problem for months and never noticed). Speaking of technical difficulties, I couldn't find the post I'd made yesterday (is there supposed to be a sidebar on the left?). Anyway, if you've left me comments there I cannot find them. Also, you might consider having an e-mail address in the "about us" section...if you'll take advice from someone without an "about us" section.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Logan Ferree said...

Yes, there's supposed to be both a sidebar on the left and a sidebar on the right. Those are the technical difficulties that we're working out right now. They were there at first, and then when I tried to add an additional section to the sidebar, they disappeared. Whoops.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lanky_Bastard said...

Curiously, that's almost the same thing that happened to my profile.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Andrew L said...

Hey Lanky_B, nice site. (and I did come through Freedom Democrats).

When you get a chance, pop over to Freedom's Gate.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home