Friday, April 22, 2005

Branding

I tend to think that Republicans do a better job of branding than Democrats. Changing the "Estate" tax to the "Death" tax, "Privatization" to "Personal Accounts", even "Religious Right" is a great term. Whatever. ..examples abound. Lately though, I wonder if it's not a case of the grass is always greener. (I also think they fertilize more)

The verbal twist that really tickles my fancy at the moment is the so called "nuclear option". I believe a Republican came up with the name, and most likely one who was somewhat apalled at the idea, but wanted to show off. (The badness of this idea transcends partisan politics) Whomever it was coined a great phrase. Things Nuclear are powerful, extreme, and generally dangerous. Some say that the shennanigans before the Bolton hearing were a taste of what Republicans will get if they decide to "go nuclear". They get a senate in lockdown, disarray, etc...or if you like: that is the fallout. The proposal is also very radioactive, promising to contaminate the party that does it. See, a very useful term.

As an aside: the Delay/Shiavo/anti-judge-hate-speech issues are being construed as Abuses of Power. Dems could have painted them as corruption, pandering, or foolery, but they chose to docus on a theme of abuse of power. Part of the point is to prevent the nuclear option.

Honestly, I don't think that the Republicans have lost their way so far as to go nuclear (or even nucular). The bulk have been whining about big government way too long to suport this. What scares me, is now the idea is on the table. Any majority knows this option exists. I worry that Democrats might use it someday. And I firly believe it just as dangerous in their hands. Another fitting analogy....we have another concept that I wish we could uninvent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home