Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wow

I knew the Republicans had that coming, but I wasn't sure the country would deliver. That and the cynical side of me never underestimates Democrats potential to screw up. Still, after their performance yesterday, maybe I'll have to stop bashing on them...at least for a few months.

This new competency thing: it can only be good for the country. Everyone's going to have their own opinion on what this all means, and I'm sure I'll have more to say later, but I wanted to give a few thoughts off the top of my head.

First, I'm glad I got to vote in PA rather than NY. Not that my vote would put anyone over the top either way, but I was happy to make the choices I did.

Second, how much does it suck to be George Allen? Here's a guy with a presidential aspirations that can't even get elected to the Senate. And worse...it's because he screwed himself. And worse still, it's close enough to drag on and on through a lengthy recount, a continuing evaluation of whether or not he's truly a loser. He might be tempted to concede and save face, but he can't. The cosmic coincidence is that the Virginia seat determines control of the Senate. No matter the odds, the republicans have to try for it. So there will be no face-saving concession. Barring a miracle (or dirty play) Allen will be crowned a huge loser twice. Maybe more if it goes to litigation.

Third, how much does it rock to be Lieberman? Now I don't like Lieberman. I don't like his politcs, and I'm mad at myself that I've voted for him twice. But on the flip side, a one seat majority maximizes his personal power, and I recognize the political skill that put him there. I wouldn't blame him for a little vengeance. Still he's been around long enough that he's probably looking to stay. I think he's skilled enough that he won't go overboard burning bridges, I foresee a little retribution and a lot of horse-trading. Certainly both sides wil be looking to curry favor with him. (I still love the idea of Independent senators, even when I dislike the individuals.) My hometown in CT came out huge for Lieberman...but then they also went for Bush in 2004. Go figure.

Fourth, I love the idea of a wave (This map shows where it hit), but I have to say the design of Congress really sucks. The Founders' concept was that there should be massive changes and responsiveness in the House, and more stability in the Senate. Unfortunately, they didn't anticipate the bullshit gerrymandering of states into safe seats. So in this "huge wave of national discontentment", what do we get? A turnover of 29 (and maybe a little more) seats. Let's break that down: in a landslide victory we still only get about 7% turnover. Seriously, is that accountability? It's smaller than most corporate layoffs. I'm unhappy there's not real change. Ironically, we get more accounatbility in the Senate, since all those blue and red counties are averaged. If 5 of 33 senate seats flip that's a more respectable 15%. So most of the House is beholden only to their base (save a few unlucky moderates in swing districts who will be voted in and out routinely). whereas the Senate needs genuine bipartisan support (saved Lieberman's behind, didn't it?). What a wierd dynamic.

Fifth, GWB is putting on a good show of accountability. I wonder if somebody important in the party sat him down and explained how badly he's screwed the Republicans. More, I wonder who it is that has the authority to set him straight. He didn't want to let Rumsfeld go (and while it's fine to fire Rummy, I don't think any of the King's other men can put Humpty-Dumpty back together either) so I wonder what carrots or sticks were offered to convince him it had to be done. Has he finally embraced pragmatism? Is he afraid? Ashamed? I dunno. In the end Rumsfeld doesn't go because of any specific issues or mistakes in Iraq. He goes because Republicans lost elections here in the US. I guess that's what an accountability moment means.

Sixth, I wonder how GWB will work with the opposition. In many respects this could be good for him. He needs oversight and input into his bubble. Hopefully we'll have a better country for it. Accountability does wonders for reconciliation.

On the day he was sentenced to death, Saddm Hussien said this: "I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands"

And today in the US, Bush said this: "The message yesterday was clear: The American people want their leaders in Washington to set aside partisan differences, conduct ourselves in an ethical manner and work together to address the challenges facing our nation."

Cleaning house makes your house cleaner, go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home