Thursday, September 07, 2006

Categorically wrong

Individual strands of DNA are unidirectional. Typically we call one end 5' and the other 3'. My most recent experiment had good results (finally!). Earlier today I wrote and sent out a 2 page brief to my advisors telling them the results.

Unfortunately, in all the excitement I messed up my nomenclature and confused the 3' ends and 5' ends. All of my conclusions were exactly backwards. Ouch. The trends I brilliantly identified were all completely wrong.

The good news is the write-up was easy to fix, I just replaced swapped every place I wrote 3' or 5'. The other good news is I figured it out before ordering thousands of dollars of DNA for follow-ups. It was an easy mistake, but still, nothing makes one feel retarded like telling your boss(es)- hey, everything I told you a few hours ago is categorically wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger la commissioner said...

hi brian~ nice to know that i'm not the only person who goofs up like that sometimes...

very funny!

-lydia, sara' friend

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home