Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Romantic Movie Philistine

I keep getting pressure from the girlfriend to go see Brokeback Mountain, and I keep reminding her that I have no interest in seeing it. She thinks it's fun to tease me for being homophobic, hoping to bait me into seeing it. Honestly though, the gay kissing scene isn’t going to scar me. Sitting through a romantic drama is. Andrew Sullivan continually promotes the movie as a love story, and points to its box office success relative to other romantic dramas. According to that site, Brokeback has climbed to the eighth best romantic drama of the past 20 years. As inspiring as that is, it’s made me even less interested in seeing it. Why? Look at its company. On the above link of 99 movies listed as “romantic dramas”, I’ve only seen 4 in their entirety.

Those four:
Ghost I liked it. Creative with a good plot.
Dirty Dancing This one was also good. (What happened to Swayze?)
Some Kind of Wonderful. Breakfast club with a romantic backdrop, good in that 80’s way.
Romeo and Juliet Saw it in high school and thought it was horrible. I can barely tolerate it on the stage, as a movie it just sucks.

I’ve also seen portions of some of the other movies:
The English Patient – really really bad, stopped watching early on.
An Officer and a Gentleman – one of my mom’s favorites, painfully dull to me
Far and Away – only caught the end of this and don’t have anything good or bad to say about it.
The Blue Lagoon – Flipping channels, a mostly naked Brooke Shields did catch my attention, but not for all that long.

Anyway, the vast majority of movies on that list are uninteresting to me. Maybe someday I'll have a change of heart and watch it, but until then Brokeback is just one more sappy tearjerker. I can handle missing it, and hopefully I’ll get less crap than I did when I skipped Titanic. (Just a guess, the boat sank, right?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home